How to Deal with Dental Anxiety
Some people even put off routine dental care for years or even decades. This may result in gum infection (periodontal disease), pain, or even broken and unsightly teeth.
Discolored or damaged teeth can make people self-conscious and insecure. They tend to smile less or keep their mouths partly closed when they speak. Some people can become so embarrassed about how their teeth look that their personal and professional lives begin to suffer, resulting in a serious loss of self-esteem.
People with dental anxiety also may suffer from poorer health in general, and even lower life expectancy. This is because poor oral health has been found to be related to some life-threatening conditions, such as heart disease and lung infections.
Below are a few tips that can help with managing and overcoming dental anxiety:
- Don’t wait to visit the dentist until you are in pain.
- Always tell your dentist and the dental office staff about your dental anxiety starting with your first phone call to the dental office.
- Consider being put to sleep with general anesthesia, taking a medication like valium, or using laughing gas (nitrous oxide).
- An ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure so practice good oral hygiene with daily brushing, flossing and using a mouthwash like Listerine.
- Try not to pass on your dental anxiety to your children.
There is a very high possibility that the experiences at a dentist office might not have been pleasant in the past creating a persistent fear of dental treatment. Although picking a right dentist who understands this and helps to manage and overcome this anxiety can help lead to a better dental health and healthier life.
Please feel free come visit us at Bliss Dental and we will help you manage and overcome your dental anxiety.
Bliss Dental - Dallas18217 Midway Road
Dallas, TX 75287
Bliss Dental - Euless711 S Industrial Blvd
Euless, TX 67040
our office hours
10:00am - 7:00pm
10:00am - 7:00pm
10:00am - 6:00pm
10:00am - 2:00pm
Enjoy your Dental Visit!
- Dental Care for Whole family
- Insurance friendly and payment plans
- No insurance! No problem!
- TV's in treatment rooms
- Nitrous Oxide
- Emergencies handled promptly
- Evening and weekend hours
- Full and Partial Dentures
- Porcelain veneers