Dental First Aid
First Aid For a Knocked Out Tooth
As children head back to school, it is important to remember that dental emergencies can happen anytime, anyplace.
A knocked out permanent tooth can be true dental emergency. A permanent tooth that is knocked out can sometimes be replanted. In most cases only permanent, adult teeth are replanted into the mouth. Baby teeth are usually left out.
Tooth accidents are commonly caused by:
- Accidental falls
- Sports related trauma
- Car accidents
- Biting on hard food.
Save any tooth that has been knocked out. Bring it to your dentist as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less chance there is that your dentist will be able to fix it. Hold the tooth by the crown only (chewing edge).
You can take the tooth to the dentist by following one of these tips:
- Try to place tooth back in the mouth where it fell out. Bite down gently on gauze or a wet tea bag to help keep in place. Be careful not to swallow the tooth.
- If above step cannot be done, place the tooth in a container and cover with small amount of whole milk or saliva.
- The tooth can also be carries between the lower lip and lower gum or under the tongue.
- Purchase an emergency bag with a save-a-tooth kit in it (Available in most drug stores)
- Do not handle the root of the tooth. Handle only the crown portion of the tooth.
- Do not scrap the root of the tooth to remove dirt.
- Do not brush or clean the tooth with an alcohol or peroxide.
Immediately contact Bliss Dental (972-307-7777) when a tooth is broken or knocked out.
Bliss Dental - Dallas18217 Midway Road
Dallas, TX 75287
Bliss Dental - Euless711 S Industrial Blvd
Euless, TX 67040
our office hours
10:00am - 7:00pm
10:00am - 7:00pm
10:00am - 6:00pm
10:00am - 2:00pm
Enjoy your Dental Visit!
- Dental Care for Whole family
- Insurance friendly and payment plans
- No insurance! No problem!
- TV's in treatment rooms
- Nitrous Oxide
- Emergencies handled promptly
- Evening and weekend hours
- Full and Partial Dentures
- Porcelain veneers